Thursday, July 12, 2012

Learning the 4 C's



 
It is quite obvious to educators of the 21st century that learning the 3 Rs (reading, writing and arithmetic) alone is no longer sufficient.  Learners need to expand their skills to match the requirements of tomorrow's workplace. They need to learn the 4 Cs - Critical thinking, Communication, Collaboration and Creativity.

This week I felt a bit like a fish out of water.  It became quite clear, that I must learn much more about the 4 Cs before I can teach them!

So, I have learned to think critically and problem solve.  For example, did you know in the top left hand corner of some laptops' touch pads there is a small pinpoint light?  If you tap the touch pad there the light comes on and you have disabled your touch pad.  Just saying, this could happen accidentally. That's right no pointer mobility at all!  Now I suppose a Net Set learner could have figured out the problem within seconds.  But, I am a digital immigrant hampered by the fact that I only read directions when all else fails.  I never even contemplated the purpose of that small "hole" - hmmm, a manufacturing oddity?  Well, it took me almost an hour to discover that if you tap the silly light twice again the light goes out and your touch pad is again enabled!  Check problem solving off the list.

Then there is communication and collaboration.  This week I "hung out" on Google +.  It took a couple attempts (like, now I would read the directions but I can't find any; is it instinctual to everyone else?), but eventually I was successful.  Our group easily breezed through task lists that would have taken many emails to create.  We were able to reassure each other.  We inspired one another. Rhett even popped in to say hi!  I now can appreciate the art of the science!  Check connecting and contributing off the list.

Finally there is creativity.  I have never considered myself to be a right brained person.  My world is for the most part logical, orderly and predictable.  I am not an inventor.  I am a consumer of the inventions.  So creativity is a bit of a stretch.  However, through this class I am learning to create using technology.  I blog.  I hangout as a princess (check out Google effects next time you hangout).  I screen share.  I edit, link and embed.  I create.  Check original construction off the list.

So, I feel pretty good about my progress.  Not that I'm proficient with the 4 Cs at all.  But I know what they are.  I have experienced them.  I may still be out of the water, but I am fearless now.  I feel like a ninja educator!




2 comments:

  1. Hey Linda, your posts are always so interesting to read. I'm backtracking to reply to this one and wanted to let you know that the idea of 3 Rs becoming 4 Cs is intriguing. It truly encompasses the new life skills but today's learners must develop. I also think you should give yourself more credit for your creativity skills. :-)

    ReplyDelete